About Me

My photo
I'm a hospital pharmacist living in rural Nova Scotia. I like to get up early and run long distances.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Vegas Trip Report - Part 2 - THE FOOD

Let me just start by saying that if the portion sizes in Vegas are any indication of what it's like in the rest of the US, it's not a wonder they are the fattest people in the developed world...  Don't get me wrong, the food was great, and there was a lot of it, but we just couldn't eat three meals a day. Most of the time, if we ate a big meal, that was the ONLY meal we ate.

Anyway, when we arrived, I wasn't in the mood to eat much of anything.  I'm not sure if I caught a bug or ate something I shouldn't have, but I the first thing I did when we got to our hotel, was vomit.  Then I went to bed.  Slept for 3 hours, then felt fine.  I've come to the realization that it's just not a vacation until I hurl.  Same thing happened in Disney. I don't remember what I ate (or if I ate) on that first day.

Sunday morning, we stumbled upon Jean Phillipe Patisserie.  It was the first of many stops I would make at JP in the coming week for coffee, gelato and these:



When I die and get to heaven, there had better be lots of these because it's all I'm going to eat.  I didn't try the sugar but did try the nutella. It didn't hold a flame to the dulce de leche.  Mmm mmm mmm TASTY!!!  I wonder if they deliver to Canada???

Sunday for lunch we stopped at a little deli called Greenberg's Deli in the New York, New York hotel.



They even had a sandwich named after the kids:


But, I went with the Italian Stallion, which was served with chips and a pickle:


DW went with the Beef 'n' cheddar  which was HUGE. Seriously, it could have fed both of us:

I mean c'mon, look at the size of that thing!!!

I don't remember what we ate for supper that night.  Probably nothing. There's no pictures, so it was obviously not memorable.

Monday we ate granola bars and drank water at the Grand Canyon. Stopped at Wendy's in Tusayan, AZ.

Tuesday probably was the best day, food wise.  I had borrowed a travel guide from a co-worker. In it there was a recommendation to eat at a place called Hash house a go go. It was a bit of a drive away from the strip and I was not real comfortable driving in Vegas at that point but we thought we would give it a try.  Getting there was actually pretty easy.  Once we sat down, we immediately knew that this was going to be quite the experience.  My jaw literally dropped when I saw some of the dishes that we coming to the tables.  There was so much to choose from but I ended up ordering this:


I forget what it was called exactly, Detroit House Hash or something like that.


It was the first time I had ever been served a meal in a cast iron frying pan. DW got a Farm Scramble with onion, swiss, bacon and avacado.  Needless to say, neither of us managed to clean our plates/frying pans.

This place was so cool, I bought the T-shirt.  We'll revisit this place later on in the post.  I want to try the french toast...

We ate an early supper at Rainforest Cafe at MGM.  DW was meeting up with a cousin she hadn't seen in about 25 years.  I had nachos which were smothered with a process cheese type goo.  They were just OK. DW ate the fish and chips. Shocking!  It's usually that or a quesadilla. We had a great dinner and chat.  Felt like I had known them my whole life. 

Wednesday was our trip to Death Valley.  Breakfast was courtesy of my good friend JP...


I had already eaten the brioche :)

We managed to sustain ourselves on a box of Fibre 1 bars and a flat of H20 for most of the day.  Dinner that night was at PF Chang's.

 Kung Pao Chicken. Spicy!!


Don't remember what this was called.  Almond Chicken, maybe?

It was quite a nice place. first time We had ever eaten there.  I'd describe it as a Chinese version of East Side Mario's.  It wasn't terribly expensive. We had tried to get a table on Saturday (or maybe it was Sunday?) night which was a total lost cause.  Wednesday nights are visibly less busy.  Glad I was able to try this place out.

Thursday we ate at Olive Garden.  This place is always on our list of places to go whenever we get to the US.  So delicious.  Brought two bottles of their Italian salad dressing back.  It never even dawned on me that I wouldn't be able to bring them in my carry on and that I'd have to put them in my checked luggage.  They made it home safely.

Friday, we made a return trip to HHAGG.  I had been dreaming of the French toast all week. Couldn't wait to get back.  Well as it turns out DW and I had a little bit of a misunderstanding. I thought we were going to go eat first and then go hiking in Red Rock Canyon.  She thought we were doing the opposite.  Turns out her plan made more sense.  So by the time we made it back into Vegas it was 1 pm.  Luckily they were still serving breakfast. And lunch.  Long story, short, I ended up getting this:

Mashed taters + biscuit + meatloaf + gravy of some sort + fried onions = TASTY!

Looking back, I wish I had got the French Toast like I had planned. I mean, it was good, but I'm not a real big fan of mashed potatoes.  I basically just wanted the meatloaf.  DW got a One Pound stuffed Burger with mushrooms and Swiss. It was huge! Even I couldn't get my mouth around it. She ended up taking one of the patties out of the burger completely.


Unfortunately, she forgot to tell them to cook it 'well done' and it was a touch too pink for her on the inside.  No big deal, she just ate the outside of the burger.

Even Man v. Food loves this place!

The second time back at HHAGG was a little bit less amazing, possibly because we knew what to expect.

That's it for the culinary highlights of the trip. Oh, on Saturday we ate supper at Wolfgang Puck Express in  the airport in Vegas. It was actually quite good. Big portions for the price. We had a 'personal' pizza and salad. Forgot to take pics.

Didn't gain a single pound.

Yay me!

1 comment:

  1. lol, looks like you hit most of the american chains that pretend not to be fast food :) The sizes are gia-normous! here, it's crazy! We don't eat out much.... I'd rather cook a gourmet meal at home for less than half the cost.

    ReplyDelete